Friday 24 April 2015

Join the Campaign for Fashion Revolution Day


I'm never too happy about having my photo taken and posted all over the Internet so imagine my trepidation when Wool and the Gang asked me to take a snap holding one of the "I made your clothes" posters for Fashion Revolution Day.


Well I read up about it on http://fashionrevolution.org/ and changed my mind immediately, of course I would join in the campaign on the day. 


I knit for Wool and the Gang, I have done for the last few months, a few woolly beanies and scarves made out of their crazy sexy wool. I also design and knit for my own web site and Etsy shop. Little accessories such as gloves, scarves, boleros and cardigans.

I only do a little bit of the process, the end result, knitting the pieces you wear and sewing the bits together and in the whole scheme of things I only create a tiny wee fraction of the clothes that are made for you!

But it's got me thinking more about the whole process, from start to finish, who helps bring the lambs in to the world, who shears the sheep, who dyes and spins the wool that I then knit in to something for you.

Check out Wool and the Gangs fabricated tales which tells the whole story of their recycled T shirt yarn. Their Crazy Sexy Wool (which I knit with) comes from happy sheep in the Peruvia Andes, sources with consideration so as to reduce impact on the environment. 





So I need to find out more about the wool, mohair and cotton yarns I knit with. This will be my challenge for the year, so next year when its fashion revolution day I have more of an idea as to where the yarn I knit with comes from and I can share that with you.





And I'm going to be thinking, Who made my clothes? next time I go shopping. Will you?










WHY DO WE NEED A FASHION REVOLUTION?


On 24 April 2013, 1133 people died in the Rana Plaza catastrophe in Dhaka, Bangladesh. A further 2500 were injured. They were killed while working for familiar fashion brands in one of the many ‘accidents’ that plague the garment industry.   http://fashionrevolution.org/about/why-do-we-need-a-fashion-revolution/




As an aside Etsy met up with Wool and The Gang a few weeks ago. Here's the story. on the Etsy UK Blog  
We’re very happy to inform you that Wool and the Gang are offering all Etsy UK blog readers the following code to use for 15% off at checkout: PARTY-KQAGM3

Wool and the Gang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quick View of Woolly Goodies available on my web site

Quick View of Woolly Goodies available on my web site
Click on photo above to see detail / to purchase