Tuesday 26 November 2013

Interior Design Course - the start

Hi all

You know I said I had given up full time work a few months back and I was still deciding what I should. 

Well one of the things I've always been a little interested in AND would sort of link up to the homely parts of the TheFeminineTouch is "Interior Design". So going back a couple of months, just after I got back from a little holiday I decided to enrol in an on-line Interior Design course. Its a 12 week course , which doesn't in fact mean that I have only 12 weeks to do it in , it only means that I get sent 12 weekly tutorials to read through in my own time. There is a lot to learn , ranging from colour theory to architecture , designing rooms to what standard symbols you use on room plans. There is a whole load of reference material too , which I will find really useful (its a good job they said we didn't need to learn all that off by heart). 

I have now completed tutorial 6 , which in theory should mean that I'm half way there. 

Humph , not so sure about that. 

There are a number of assignments to do too , these are the things that take the time. I have completed 3 1/2 of them (1/2 because I have completed the 1st half of assignment 4 and got it marked before I embarked on the 2nd half). 

I have yet to look forward to see how many assignments I have to do as I think that will put me off. They are getting steadily harder and harder.

The 1/2 assignment I completed successfully was to collect samples of wallpaper , fabrics , carpets and pictures of lighting and furniture to make what we call a "mood board". 

But it's not just about putting the samples together on the board and having it looking pretty , you also have to have them all labelled neatly , and have these all listed , where you buy the fabrics etc from , how much you will need and it all costed up properly.




and what did my tutor have to say.......



Sandra, your sample board and index for the living room reads very well, your client will have no difficulty in seeing what you are intending to achieve with their space

Now to get back to the second half of that assignment - a drawn to scale room plan.   See you later.....

3 comments:

  1. I am an interior designer but although it sounds like all fun, some technical parts can become boring lol :) Good luck with finishing it you are doing great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I can read you really enjoy this course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck!! You have a lovely Etsy shop. (I am Modestly on Etsy!!) regadrs Anne

    ReplyDelete

Quick View of Woolly Goodies available on my web site

Quick View of Woolly Goodies available on my web site
Click on photo above to see detail / to purchase